Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Sack, For Your Nuts




Sunday when we were in Clarksburg visiting the Family, Delia spent most of her time outside. She came in with a plastic bag full of walnuts that she'd collected. On the ride home I told her we'd have to freeze them or roast them if she wanted to keep them, because there were probably larvae of some kind living in them. I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I brought a bag of chestnuts home from the bakery and promptly forgot about them. Several weeks later I saw worms crawling out from under a pile of stuff, and lo and behold, I found the chestnuts! This idea freaked her out real bad, I had to carry her walnuts into the house for her. After she went to bed I roasted them in the oven, to make sure nothing was going to come crawling out of them ever. I also spent a while pondering the attractiveness of the Kroger bag they came home in, and decided they needed a nicer place to live. I whipped out my size 7 DPNs and cast on with only a vague notion of what I was doing. The YO K2Tog combo from the Market Bag I made was still swimming around in my head, so that made it into the construction. I like how it swirls. So does Delia! She was super pleased, I think she enjoys it when I make something for her. Now she has a stylish ammo bag, since we decided that these little walnuts would make excelent slingshot amunition.

1 comment:

bnicholson said...

That is a very cool bag!