Sunday, August 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley



It's the birthday of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, (books by this author) born Mary Godwin in London, England (1797). She is famous as the author of Frankenstein (1818), which is considered the first science fiction novel ever written.

It begins: "It was on a dreary night of November that I beheld the accomplishment of my toils. … It was already one in the morning; the rain pattered dismally against the pains, and my candle was nearly burnt out, when, by the glimmer of the half-extinguished light, I saw the dull yellow eye of the creature open; it breathed hard, and a convulsive motion agitated its limbs."

text lifted from The Writer's Almanac
image lifted from here

And speaking of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley, this is an interesting blog with her name on it. It is a series of interview questions about gender equality and sexism issues. I have found the responses interesting, (you can link to several interviews in a sidebar on the lower left hand side of the page) and hope eventually to write answers to some of them myself. If anyone is groping around in the dark for things to blog about, I for one always like to hear people's ideas about feminism.

No comments: