Friday, March 19, 2010

Oh Spring!

At last...

We've made it through the winter, and tomorrow the sun shines full on the equator and day and night will balance there, equal. From here the Sun marches toward his full power and the days outstrip the nights in length. My powers wax along with the sun's rays. I will be myself again by May Day. Sweet Glorious life giving Sun, how I have missed you!

The Vernal Equinox, also known in some circles as Ostara or Eostre, is all about the magic of new life and rebirth. I don't have to tell you that the bunnies and the eggs and the chocolate (well, maybe not the chocolate... did the Celts or Romans have chocolate?) that we see in the one dollar aisle at Target are all "appropriated" from really old pagan festivities (I bet that ancient indigenous southern hemisphere people had vernal equinox rituals that involved chocolate), and even the moniker Easter comes from the Saxon Goddess Eostra. Eostra had hares for her companions, and bunnies also are famous for their romantic antics. So this time of year is a really great time to do what bunnies do, if you know what I mean (wink, wink, nudge nudge). And of course start planting your crops and all that happy agrarian stuff. It's a fertility festival folks, enjoy it! Also, set something on fire if you can. Maybe a couch... I hear that WVU is doing well in the basketball playoffs.



My favorite seasonal myth is Hellenic in origin. Spring is when Persephone got to come back from Hell and hang out again for six months with her mom Demeter. I have always identified strongly with Persephone, maybe because I have Seasonal Affect Disorder real bad, I dunno, I feel like I am in Hell for most of the winter.

Here at Edgehill House we are celebrating by planning our Urban Garden, more to come on that later. I also plan to squeeze some time in this weekend for a little Ukranian Egg making - anybody who wants to join can totally get in on this action. I have plenty of psyanky to go around. All you need is an egg and an idea.

Happy Spring everybody!

No comments: