Monday, February 14, 2011

Caramel Heart Cookies


No, they don't look like hearts, but they do have hearts. Melted inside each cookie is a chunk of homemade caramel. We made several pounds of the stuff back at Christmastime, and it keeps well in the freezer. I sliced it into portions, wrapped it in buttered foil and then in a plastic bag, and we just take out a piece whenever we're feeling saucy.

We used this recipe for sugar cookies but halved it. Mostly. We didn't halve the egg. I eyeballed the flour. I wrapped a heaping teaspoon of dough around a little cube of caramel - probably the equivalent of half a cube of the kind you get in the store wrapped in plastic. They baked at 375 for ten minutes. I let them cool for about 5 minutes on the sheet before I moved them to the cooling rack. I recommend using a metal spatula with a thin blade because when I used my plastic pancake turner I ripped the bottom off the cookie and all the caramel oozed out.

The cookies suffered a little denting in the center as they cooled. If we'd had any on hand I would have plopped a Hershey's Kiss right in the middle of each one and let it melt down into that divot. As it stands, they are not chocolatey, but they are GOOD.

The first batch is plain on the outside, the second was rolled in red sugar at Delia's insistence. I think they came out really cute!

1 comment:

Prisoner of the Universe #2-16 said...

Cute and dee-la-icious! Pun intended. And so well displayed on a Fiesta Plate!
Thanks for the poem.
And the history lesson.
I love you all.
Mom