Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to school lunch date!

Not only are the streets of Morgantown once again crawling with students, but my sweet husband is one of them now! He is taking classes full time AND working full time, so we are easing into "ships passing in the night" mode.

Tuesdays we found a little window of together time after I get home from work and before he goes to work, so he took me out to lunch at The Dirty Bird. It is a fried chicken place on the corner of High and Walnut. This is a picture of my sandwich, the *Bake Sale Betty* which is a lovely combination of their house slaw, a fried chicken breast, and tomato on a grinder roll. It was AWESOME, and I really shouldn't have eaten the whole thing BUT I DID. Keith got two pieces of fried chicken and a biscuit, and he liked it very much. Crispy, juicy and not really greasy, this was the freshest fried chicken I have ever encountered.

There are quite a few interesting sandwiches on the menu, including the *Jimmy Sinatra* which is salami, baked ham, pepperoni, provolone, roasted peppers, oil & vinegar, lettuce, tomato and red onion on a grinder roll, and the *Raging Bull* which has roast beef, muenster, lettuce, tomato, bacon, red onion, and garlic horseradish mayo. I think the next time we go we will probably get these, but there are plenty of other really good looking choices.

The joint is small, there are about 10 tables, but it didn't feel claustrophobic even though the place was almost full. Bright yellow walls are covered with photographs of chicken shacks from all over. They were pretty fun to look at while we waited for our food. It felt like we waited for a long time, but I was really hungry. Didn't matter though, once the food came we were quite happy.

I can definitely recommend the place for your lunch. I don't think they're open for dinner, but they have egg sandwiches and biscuits and gravy on the menu so I reckon they're open for breakfast. The most expensive thing on the menu is only $8.25, with most sandwiches ringing up at $7.25. I DEFINITELY got my money's worth out of this lunch! Sadly, their iced tea is from the soda fountain, which I think tastes gross, so next time I will just get water. They also serve pepsi fountain drinks.

1 comment:

Prisoner of the Universe #2-16 said...

Glad to hear the scholar is back at his studies. And that you all have time for lunch. Are you the phantom restaurant reviewer? Maybe you could ghostwrite a few articles for the Dominion Post ;-)
Love,
Ma