This Sunday's Waffles
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c sour cream
1 1/2 c buttermilk
2 egg yolks
4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla
2 egg whites, beaten to stiff peaks
- whisk together dry ingredients
- stir together wet ingredients, except egg whites
- add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients, stir till moistened
- gently fold egg whites into batter
- spray waffle maker with cooking spray, or brush with oil. Make sure your iron is up to temperature before you put any batter in it!
- 1/2 cup of batter fills my waffle iron perfectly - your mileage may vary. The batter will be thick, but don't worry, it will spread out when you close the lid. Bake for 4 or 5 minutes till desired crispiness is reached.
You can hold the waffles in a warm oven till they're all done, but watch out, a plate that's been in the oven for half an hour gets HOT!
Serve with some lovely berries, maple syrup and Delia's most favorite, WHIPPED CREAM!
Leftovers freeze well and you can pop them in the toaster for a late night snack or a weekday breakfast. I like to take them on hikes and eat them with apples and peanut butter.