Sunday, March 07, 2010

Breakfast = Waffles

Sunday mornings are for big family breakfast.
I borrowed a waffle iron from Tyler back at Christmastime, to make galettes, and I have been planning to return it to him for weeks now. I'm glad I didn't! It was sitting there in the kitchen looking at me saying, "Use me one more time before I go home." So I did! I got the recipe from my Food Network Hero Alton Brown.
We didn't have any butter or buttermilk, so I substituted oil for the butter and sour milk for the buttermilk. Sour milk is made by adding about a teaspoon of lemon juice to a cup of milk and letting it thicken - the recipe that calls for buttermilk wants a bit of acid to jump start the leavening. You could also use cream of tartar, but I didn't have any of that.

The recipe made a giant stack of waffles, and my hungry family demolished that stack before I could take a picture. All these photos are our second helpings.



Happiest Husband in the Clean Plate Club!

No comments: