Monday, November 29, 2010

Leftovers

The only thing we really had leftover was the turkey. When I picked over the carcass, I came up with about 3 cups of meat (which really isn't a whole lot for a 12 lb bird). And it wasn't the pretty "let's make a sandwich" kind of turkey meat, it was the wings and the thighs and all those nether regions only seen by the person who makes the turkey stock the next day. So while the stock simmered on the stove, I minced the leftover turkey in my trusty food processor, saved about a cup of it to make turkey salad (which nobody in this house, save me, will eat), and made these little treaties with the rest.

Turkey Dippers
  • 3 slices of stale bread (although I bet leftover stuffing would work wonderfully too), crumbed
  • 2 cups of turkey
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1 celery stalk
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard
  • sprinkle of salt and pepper
  • one beaten egg + a splash of turkey stock or water

  1. I processed the bread into crumbs separately, then ground the turkey, cranberries, onion, celery and spices together.
  2. Mix the meat mixture and bread together, then moisten it all with the beaten egg. If it is too dry add a touch more stock.
  3. Form into patties, mine were about 2 inches across. Place on a baking sheet sprayed with oil, and spray the tops with a little more oil.
  4. Bake in a 4oo degree oven for about 7 minutes, turn and bake for about 7 minutes more.
Serve with Cranberry Mustard for dipping.

  • 1 part spicy brown mustard
  • 1 part yellow mustard
  • 1 part cranberry sauce
mix well, eat with Turkey Dippers and/or French Fries.

I think these would work out well pan fried too, and if I had any left I would eat them like falafel in a pita sandwich for my lunch tomorrow.

No comments: