Monday, November 22, 2010

A Week of Thanksgiving : Monday


I am so thankful that I was born in West Virginia. The Appalachian Mountains rise up around me and wrap me in peace and comfort. I am thankful for all our wild lands, but most especially for our State Parks and National Forests. No church building can inspire the awe in my soul that a walk along the trail can. Today Keith and I took a break from the Thanksgiving preparations and hiked Hemlock Trail. It changes with the seasons, we hadn't been there since full on summer, and without the leaves on the trees and the undergrowth, it was a whole different place. The Hemlocks are still the same though, fernlike and delicate but also towering giants. I love them so. I will never feel as at ease around people as I do out in the woods. So it's a good thing I live here, in this state that is 78% forest!

No comments: