In the November issue (I think, it's hard for me to keep track of datey sorts of things) of Whole Living Magazine there was a recipe for Caramelized Onion Jam. And I made it back then, only with fennel bulbs too, because I had to use 'em or lose 'em. That recipe calls for a whole lot of oil, and I although I liked how it turned out, nobody else in the house would eat it (probably because I say "fennel" and people automatically think "black licorice"). So the next time I made it I left out the fennel and changed it up a bit, then last week I think I may have perfected my own house version of Onion Jam.
- a bowlfull of onions, five or six, thinly sliced
- 5 or so cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- a tablespoon of bacon grease
- a generous glug of olive oil
- big splash of balsamic vinegar (maybe two or three tablespoons)
- a good shake of salt (maybe half a teaspoon, or to taste)