Monday, June 25, 2012

Beetcakes with Garlic Scapes

I got some garlic scapes in my CSA basket last week, and Keith and Delia brought me a bunch of beets from the Farmers Market on Saturday, and I have a crisper full of rapidly wilting greens already so I figured I oughta cook some of them up. This recipe was inspired by Smitten Kitchen's Broccoli Fritters, although I have made Beetcakes before.
1 bunch of beet greens, chopped and wilted in a skillet with a splash of balsamic vinegar
1 bunch of garlic scapes, finely chopped
2 small potatoes, shredded
1/2 an onion, finely chopped

2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon red rooster sauce (or hot sauce of your choice)
Salt & pepper to taste

Mix the veggies together in a big bowl.

Whisk the flour and seasoning into the eggs till smooth. Mix that into the veggies.

Fry in hot oil till brown and crispy (I use bacon grease + vegetable oil, but I've found that a spritz of Pam works fine if you are all low-fat).

Drain on paper towels.

I fried up a few and then added an ounce of blue cheese to the remaining batter, since I knew the fam wouldn't even consider trying them with cheese.

No comments: