Monday, June 04, 2012

More Waffles!



I had an abundance of bananas and a half gallon of buttermilk that really needed to be used when I got back from the woods.  I made several dozen banana muffins to freeze for weekday breakfasts and snacks.  This morning I made banana buttermilk waffles for family brunch (which is my second breakfast since I woke up early and made a kale fritatta for myself at 7am). 

This recipe was swiped from the internet here, and I of course had to change it up a bit.

MORE WAFFLES

Pre-heat your waffle iron.  Mine came from Aldi and makes really cute heart shaped waffles.  It has a little light on it that lets me know when it is hot.  You are going to have to change the cooking times to suit your own waffle iron.

1 cup quick oats, pulsed to coarse flour in a food processor
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Jamaican allspice

Whisk together these dry ingredients in a large bowl, the biggest bowl you have handy.  I recommend Fiestaware, but an heirloom mixing bowl from your Grandmother will work just as well.  Or a plastic one, or whatever.
I do not add sugar to my waffles because I think we eat way too much sugar in the modern world.  If you don't slather your breakfast with maple syrup anyway, you can add 3 tablespoons of brown sugar to the dry ingredients.   But IMO, the banana makes them plenty sweet. 

1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 ripe banana
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend wet ingredients.  I pureed them in the food processor so there wouldn't be chunks of banana.

2 egg whites

This is the most important step in making stellar waffles of any stripe.  Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl till stiff peaks form. 


So add the wet ingredients to the dry ones all at once and stir till everything is moistened.  Then fold in the beaten egg whites. 

Pour half a cup of batter onto a hot waffle iron and bake for 5 minutes, or till desired crispiness.  They can hold in a warm oven if you are planning to all sit down to eat at the same time.

Enjoy with maple syrup, strawberries, peanut butter, honey, whatever tickles you!  And these puppies freeze well, so the kid can pop one into the toaster for breakfast when I'm not there. Although since this recipe only makes about 6 waffles, there probably won't be any left to freeze.

No comments: