Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SICK or Hoepless Bleak Despair

So I woke up yesterday all shaky and sweaty and nauseous. I couldn't even drink my coffee, it was that bad. I might have had a hangover, if I'd had anything to drink the night before (which I hadn't). With my 5:50 leave for work deadline rapidly approaching, I took my temperature with the trusty old mercury thermometer. I work with food, and the food code says I can't work if I'm vomiting, have diarrhea, or a fever. So far I hadn't puked, and no explosive bowels either, so a fever was the last viable excuse, and it turns out I didn't have one of those either - although it sure felt like it. I went to work anyway. By the time I got there I had sweat through my t-shirt (but I wear wool sweaters and they are magical, even warmer when they're wet) and was simultaneously freezing. Oh well, time to make the doughnuts, as they say.

I have been sick since before Thanksgiving, the runny nose, coughing kind of sick. But I figured it was just a sinus infection, it would run it's course eventually. I HATE going to the doctor, especially I hate getting antibiotics just because they give them to everybody for everything and there is nothing they can do to help the common cold AT ALL. But yesterday after work, I felt like, since I survived, I ought to go to the doctor and find out what was wrong with me. So I did.

The nurse took my vitals, I told her I was nauseous and shaky and exhausted. She duly wrote it all down. The doctor came in and looked into my ears, listened to me breathe, told me I probably had a sinus infection and wrote me a prescription for a Z-Pak (hideously expensive antibiotics, they're all the rage this cold and flu season). This all took less than 5 minutes. I should have pressed the doctor, asked him why a sinus infection would make me feel like I was pregnant (which I am not, BTW just sos you know, and which nobody even bothered to ask), but he hightailed it out of there as fast as he could, he moved so fast the breeze blew the prescription off the desk. The waiting room wasn't even crowded! Maybe I had really bad breath?

Anyway, later that evening, I talked to my mom on the phone, and she suggested that I take off from work. She said I needed to rest. She said I would just make everyone in Morgantown sick if I kept going to work sick (I started feeling guilty, although if I was going to make anyone sick they'd probably be sick already anyway!). So I caved and called my boss, saying that I was going to stay home. Which I did.

Staying home when I am sick is possibly worse than going to work sick. At least at work I have goals, I have things to finish. Home sick I just wander around aimlessly feeling like crap. I did sleep for 12 hours, then I got up and did some laundry. Eventually I forced myself to eat a peanut butter sandwich because I've been sick for three weeks and haven't been to the grocery store and there was nothing else to eat... But at least I didn't puke it up. Keith thinks the nausea may be caused by an inner ear disturbance due to my sinus infection. I think it may be caused by all the phlegm that's running down the back of my throat all the goddamned day long. Well, I'm eating the mega-antibiotics now, so all of that can go away now please. I sent my boss a text message saying that I'd be at work tomorrow come hell or high water. If I have to stay home feeling crappy and useless any longer I'm going to start banging my head against the proverbial wall. Oh, and did I mention being sick makes me feel grumpy too?

3 comments:

Prisoner of the Universe #2-16 said...

Tell Keith to get you a can of chicken noodle soup (or stop by Bob Evans and buy a Chicken Noodle Soup (dumpling noodles)some acid free OJ and some lemon jusice and a honey bear.
Delia will heat soup up on the stove and you can eat it nice and hot with crackers and hot coffee. Then your nose will open up and you can blow the snot out.Put a little instrumental Harry Connick (stress relief music - not heavy)on your computer.
Find your tea pot. Make tea with lemon and honey.
Carry it upstairs.

Listen to Harry Connick Take a hot shower before you go to bed.

Wrap up in a nice t-shirt and pj pants with a quilt and socks.
If Keith will bring it to you, drink 6 oz of OJ every time you think of getting thirsty.
PUT THIS BESIDE YOUR BED:
Drink Water - icy cold - after you take your alkaseltzer in a little bit of tap water.( every 4 to 6 hours)

And stay home and REST.
Love,
Yo Mamma

Keith Strother said...

I don't get a can of chicken noodle soup; I MADE chicken noodle soup, just so you know.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are so sick. I must say that I am not a fan of antibiotics either. However, the Zpak rocks. It works fast!